Video and Audio Recordings by and About Russell Kirk
RUSSELL KIRK AS A MIDWESTERN WRITER
LUBBERS ON THE LIBERAL ARTS
A video of a talk on the importance of a liberal arts education by Arend D. Lubbers, President Emeritus of Grand Valley State University. Listen as Arend D. Lubbers, Grand Valley State University President Emeritus and the longest-serving college president in the country, speaks on the importance of a liberal arts education. President Lubbers has been a longtime friend of the Kirk family and The Russell Kirk Center. During his tenure at GVSU, Lubbers arranged for Russell Kirk to be a visiting professor, deliver a commencement address, and to receive an honorary degree.
You can also download here a PDF of his talk, “Lubbers_Talk.”
KARL VON HABSBURG ON RUSSELL KIRK
Karl von Habsburg is the son of Otto von Habsburg. Karl was a member of the European Parliament for ten years, and in the summer of 1984 he studied the thought of Edmund Burke under Russell Kirk in Mecosta. This video is from a presentation at the Czech parliament in 2000 announcing the publication of The Conservative Mind in Czech. The full video of the celebration—at which Annette Kirk, President of the Russell Kirk Center and Marco Respinti, Senior Fellow and Italian journalist, also spoke—can be seen here at our partner site.
AUDIO AND VIDEO LECTURES ON THE INTERNET
- The John M. Olin Online Lecture Library at the Intercollegiate Studies Institute hosts several lectures about Russell Kirk and his influence by scholars including Ted McAlister, Michael P. Federici, W. Wesley McDonald, George H. Nash, Gleaves Whitney, and Allan C. Carlson
- It also hosts more than twenty-five audio lectures by Russell Kirk.
- C-SPAN recorded a talk by Russell Kirk at the Heritage Foundation on June 4, 1980, The Conservative Movement, Then & Now.
- Russell Kirk is interviewed about Ronald Reagan on this C-SPAN program, November 30, 1988.
- C-SPAN also has more recent video recordings from Annette Kirk and Senior Fellows Gleaves Whitney, Ian Crowe, and George Nash
VIDEO COMPANION SITE
In addition to the videos posted here, please visit “The Wardrobe”—a companion site featuring video and audio archives by and about Russell Kirk. It includes exclusive interviews with scholars, prominent persons in the conservative movement, and Kirk himself. The address is thewardrobe.org.